What must have the future looked like for people who lived 100 years ago? Now that we’ve lived the future, it is really fascinating to see what people must have dreamed it would be. It is amazing how the artists have painted the art “France in the year 2000”.
“France in the year 2000” is a series of painting by the French commercial artist Jean-Marc Côté and few other artists in the following years 1899, 1900 and 1910. This art shows the artist’s imagination on how the world might look like in the year 2000. It all started of as a small series of art on enclosed cigarette boxes and cigar boxes, then the team was commissioned to create a series of card which was then exhibited in a fair called “Exposition Universelle” in Paris, 1900. Then later, the painting were used in postcards as well.
Before the cards could be distributed, the company which commissioned them ran out of business and the pictures remained untouched. Later, when Isaac Asimov discovered the art again in the year 1986, he published them with commentaries.
Lets see how many of these predictions from “France in the year 2000” turned out to be true :
1 . Aviation Police : Flying police men to control the traffic in the air.
2. Aerial Firemen : Firemen will be wearing “batwings” to easily fly on the rooftops to clear fire.
3. A whale bus : Domesticate whales and use them for transportation.
4. Flying cars : Flying cars are an idea for a long time now. Even now the prediction continues.
5. Fishing for seagulls : Hunting sea gulls from under water.
6. Divers on Horseback : Literally using them as horse underwater.
7. Air ship : Flying ships?
8. Aero-cab station : When hover cars are a thing, they need stations of course.
9. At school : When schools are equipped with audio books.
10. Video telegraphy : We will communicate through video chatting. Well! That happened.
11. A house rolling through the countryside : While you can change location and stay in the same house.
12. Advanced toilette : Automated bathrooms. Woah! that sounds exciting. Isn’t it?
13. Heating with radium : As source of heat. But, is that even safe?
14. A croquet party : Another under water game?
14. A torpedo plane : More like a fighter jet.
15. Advanced sentinel in a Helicopter : Spy helicopters.
16. Rare Horse : Horses are so rare, that you’ll have to pay to see them.
17. Battle cars : Wars to be fought by battle cars.
18. Intensive breeding machine : Advanced machines that can change eggs to chickens.
19. The new fangled barber : When salons are replaced with advanced machines.
20. A race in the Pacific : Race using fishes? WOW!
21. Tailor of the latest fashion : Automatic tailoring machines.
22. The title eagle nest robbers : Wings to fly up till eagle’s nest.
23. The rural postman : Postman delivering posts by your windows like doves do.
24. Well trained Orchestra : Thats no big deal, yeah?
Though few of the illustrations seem ridiculous. It is important to see where we stand right now, few of the illustrations are still a prediction and few of this did happen. We don’t notice the changes that happen every day around us. So, you’ll never know. One day all of this can possibly happen.
Image credit : France in the year 2000 by Jean-Marc Côté
If you like this post please comment below and share. If you like this page, do follow us on Facebook to be updated with our latest post or simply subscribe.
You might also like :